Oklahoma Home Security
Alarms | Camera systems | Card Access | home automation | low voltage wiring
Regularly testing your home security system is important. Testing allows you to know that your security system is working the way it should, and if it isn't, it lets you know that you need to contact your alarm monitoring company. We encourage our customers to test their security system once per month, and anytime they have had telephone work done. Testing it is easy and shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
The first thing you should do is contact your alarm monitoring company, in the case of our customers that’s Guardian. Let them know that you’ll be testing your alarm and that you need it placed on test. Placing your alarm on test will prevent the police, fire department or paramedics from being needlessly dispatched.
After you've contacted your alarm monitoring company, set your alarm as you would normally. Now you can either open a door or press a panic button. At this point your siren will sound, just as it normally would if the security system were going off. It is important to let the siren go off for at least 30 seconds. Now, disarm your security system just as you normally would.
The final step in testing your security system is calling your alarm monitoring company and checking that they received a signal. If everything is working correctly, they received the signal from your alarm panel. At this point, you can take your security system off of test.
If you have any additional questions about testing your security system Contact Us.
The newest trend in home security is home automation. Total Connect Services from Honeywell allow users to control their home alarm and more right from their smartphone or computer.
Maybe you’d like to check in on the kids when they arrive home from school, or an elderly relative with medical issues, Total Connect Services will allow you to keep an eye on those closest to you, while still taking care of other things. If you own a business, Total Connect Services at your office will allow you to check in on employees while you’re out. Perhaps you have a housekeeper that you need to let in the house, or a vacation home that you’d like to turn on the heat or air conditioning before you arrive, all of this is possible.
Total Connect Services are more affordable than you may think; monitoring rates start at $ 42.95 per month with warranty.
Total Connect Services are operated through a free app that can be downloaded via the iTunes App Store or the Android Marketplace.
Total Connect Services allow users to operate their alarm system remotely. Users can arm and disarm their alarm system, get real-time updates on arming and disarming, control lighting within your home or business, be notified if the alarm has been set off, view cameras remotely, change the temperature on your thermostat, and even lock and unlock doors.
For more information Contact Us today!
So you’re ready to get a home alarm system, but what else can you be doing to better protect your home and family? Home security is much more than just having a security system in place. We’ve put together a list of 5 easy things you can do to better protect your home.
- Home Security Tip #1: It may sound incredibly simple, but always make sure that your doors and windows are locked. We all know to lock our doors, but when was the last time you checked your windows?
- Home Security Tip #2: Make sure any hedges or bushes are kept trimmed. Burglars look for homes that they can enter and leave from unnoticed. Overgrown landscaping easily hides what’s going on inside a home.
- Home Security Tip #3: Never announce on social media that you’re out of town, or otherwise not at home. I know we all love to share our lives on Facebook, but telling the world you’ll be out of town for the next week is never a good idea. Burglars are online just like the rest of us.
- Home Security Tip #4: If you’re going out of town, make sure to stop your mail and newspaper subscription until you return. There’s no better way to announce that no one is home than a weeks’ worth of newspapers lying on your lawn.
- Home Security Tip #5: When you’re away on vacation, or even out for the evening, leave a few lights on inside your home. If you’re going to be gone for a few days, pick up some timers from your local hardware store; they’re easy to set up, and help give the appearance that someone is home or will be soon.
If you're ready to get a home alarm Contact Us for more information.
We've compiled a list of quick and easy tips for using your home security system. These tips are geared towards Honeywell Vista series systems, if you have a different brand home security system, the steps may be different.
- Quick Tip #1: There’s a shortcut for arming your home alarm in stay and away mode. To quickly arm your system in stay mode, simply press #STAY or #3. To quickly arm your system in away mode, simply press #AWAY or #2. You’ll still need to use your code to disarm your system.
- Quick Tip #2: Instant Mode is similar to the STAY mode, except it takes the delay off of your entry/exit doors. To arm your system using Instant Mode simply press #7. Make sure that anyone who is going to be in the home is in before arming the system using the Instant Mode.
- Quick Tip #3: Maximum Mode is similar to AWAY, except it take the delay off of your entry/exit doors. To arm your system using Maximum Mode simply press #4. Maximum Mode is really designed to be used if you’re going to be out of town and no one is going to be stopping by to check on your home. If you have remotes to operate your system, make sure to disarm the system before entering when you arrive home.
- Quick Tip #4: If you have a housekeeper, nurse, young children, a nanny, etc. you can add additional User Codes to your system. Most home alarms will store up to 16 User Codes. You can then change codes out as needed.
- Quick Tip #5: If you have remotes for your security system, don’t forget about the Panic Feature. When arriving home, or turning in for the night, keep the remotes quickly accessible for emergencies.